Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Christmas Cookies

I know they are little and may not remember all that much of these very early years, but I've been trying to focus on doing activities with the girls this Christmas season. I admit, I'm not really a gift-giver. It's not my love language and I'm generally pretty bad at it. I can buy a gift card and something off a list, but I'm no good at picking up clues and getting surprise gifts. I tried to talk Nathan into backing off on gifts this year but gift giving is his love language and he's actually quite good at it. The agreement was that he'd handle the gifts and I would handle the activities and sentimental memory making. 

So far we've seen Santa a few times...made some cookies that we handed out to neighbors (and I took to my coworkers)...decorated the cupboards with ribbon for our Christmas cards so we could look at the pictures everyday. We also tried melting candy canes in the oven and re-shaping them into our names, but that project was a dud. The candy canes melted too much and then were hard as rocks. 




Since it's the week of Christmas I wanted to do a few more fun things. First and foremost - Christmas cookies. We used to make the same butter cookies each year when I was a kid and I still love them. I thought the girls would really like seeing them being made and decorating them. They wanted to help with the rolling and cutting (and they did a little), but due to issue like the cutters being a little sharp and the dough having raw eggs, I mostly took care of the first part of the process and had them join in when the cookies had cooled. Chloe had done a little last year but this was Megan's first time. Oh boy, she thought this was awesome! A lot of eating and some decorating later, we had some pretty cute cookies. We're eating them like they're going out of style but we're also struggling to stay in Santa's good graces, so we will be sure to save him some. Nathan even made some homemade eggnog to go with them!











No comments:

Post a Comment