Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Megan's Surgery Consult

<Spoiler alert! If you're eating a cookie right now, you'll want to put it down.>

Ever since Megan was born she has had a little "thing" on her neck that will sometimes have clear goo coming out of it. No one seemed to know what it was (by "no one" I mean the random friends and family I would ask) so at her 1 year physical I asked the nurse practitioner. Turns out it's a Branchial Cleft Fistula and they referred us to C.S. Mott Children's Hospital in Ann Arbor. What causes such a thing? Apparently something didn't close correctly when she was an embryo and it created this fistula or cyst in her neck. I was hoping it was "nothing" but I was wrong. Apparently they can get infected so they like to remove them when they are little so they don't cause trouble. Not what I wanted to hear. 

The upside is that Megan had a very fun day at Mott during our surgery consult. She loved having mommy to herself and meeting her surgeon. The nurses were so nice! They played with her and let her run around the anesthesia unit after her physical. We go back on Wednesday, April 10, for the actual surgery. Mommy is nervous because they have to put her completely under in order to do the surgery, but everyone is very confident that she will do well. She's very healthy and will probably just love the adventure. Thankfully Daddy will be there to keep Mommy calm and Chloe will have a fun day with her grandma while Megan has her surgery.

Here are a few photos from my phone...




 

No comments:

Post a Comment