I've been baking and cooking a lot more this month. I think something about the cooler weather makes me want to stay inside and make the house smell yummy. I made a Special K Loaf which was one of my mom's go-to dishes. I've been experimenting a bit with lasagna recipes. A few weeks ago I made a white sauce lasagna with mushrooms, (fake) chicken, and homemade Alfredo sauce. So good!
Today I was looking to make something for Sabbath lunch but hadn't really planned ahead. This happens to me a lot. I'm lucky that I'm pretty good at keeping things on hand but today I really had to MacGyver things. My main mission was to use the squash I got on Wednesday at the farmer's market. I buy squash on a regular basis, despite the fact that I don't like squash. Although, it does have one thing going for it -- so happens that it's easy to hide in other food. I had some leftover lasagna noodles and a jar of spaghetti sauce, so I thought I'd see if I could hide it in a lasagna.
Well, the noodles and sauce were about where my preparation ended. I had mushrooms but they had gone bad on me. I thought I had ricotta or cottage cheese and I had neither. I thought I might try to make a homemade Alfredo sauce to add and my Parmesan cheese was moldy. I rummaged through my freezer hoping I had some sort of white cheese for the top. Nope. I finally found some Colby Jack cheese which was at least half white. I did find a bag of frozen, chopped spinach which I thought would work with the squash and decided some onions would round out the veggies. That put me a little closer. My big problem was that I needed something else in there -- then I saw my frozen cream cheese patties. It wasn't ricotta cheese, but it enough of a flavor and texture to make up for the lack of fake meat or ricotta. I was really surprised at how well it turned out. I'd make it again!
Pears are plentiful these days so I'd also gotten a bunch of them at the market. Chloe and I especially love them so we eat them straight, but I had so many I feared they'd go soft on me before we could get through them all. So, I made a pear crisp. I just followed a basic recipe I found online and it turned out well enough to eat, but it really needed more crumb topping. And a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. But it was a tasty end to lunch.
No comments:
Post a Comment